Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2015

Driver side Front wheel cylinder Replacement

The driver side front wheel has been locking up.  So I bought a replacement wheel cylinder to install.  During the installation I could not get the wheel cylinder seperated from the brake hose.  I ended up buying a replacment brake hose.  Since I am working on that side I went a head and bought inner and outer bearings, and will replace those as well.




Driver Side Front - Reference image
Driver Side Front - Reference image
Driver side front brake - I was unable to seperate the hose from the wheel cylinder.  I ended up buying a replacement hose so I will just replace both components.

Driver side front brake - This is the mounting point for the brake hose.


While removing the front driver side wheel I had difficulty removing the hub.  I was unable to adjust the brake shoes inward.  The auto adjuster was rusted and would not rotate. I had to slowly work the wheel hub assembly loose then off.  I decided that  I would replace the wheel bearings at this point.  I removed the brake hardware and cleaned it up.  The shoes seem ok so I will re-use them.

Driver side front - hardware layed out and cleaned up a bit.

drive side front - at look at the inner bearing and rubber seal
The replacement driver side front wheel cylinder


12 Sept 2015


Started working on the driver side front brakes.  Replaced the wheel cylinder and flex hose.


Driver side front brake after replacing wheel cylinder and flex hose.


Frame location of flex hosing mount, replacement flex hose installed.


Wheel cylinder view of flex hose
Driver side front new brake hose installed





Driver side front new brake hose installed


The brake shoes and hardware went back together without trouble.  The flex hose was pretty easy to remove on this side(see how it goes with the other side).



Started working on removing the wheel bearing races and seal of the front brake drum.  the outer race was pretty easy to remove but I was unable to remove the inner race.  So I will take it to a automotive maintenance shop and have them remove the races and re-install new ones.