Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

4 April 2017 - The Merc

Decided to take the car for the daily drive to work, which is about 7 miles away.  I kept an eye on the mechanical temp gages and they stayed just at 183 degrees the entire trip.  That route has 40 mph zones, 30 mph zones and 50 mph zones and no signs of over heating.

The tach stayed steady.  I varied speeds as needed based on traffic and speed zones.

After parking the car for about an hour and a half I attempted to restart the car.  It behaved as if there was no fuel, but then started up and idled fine.   I checked the fuel cap after that there was a tremendous amount of pressure pushing out of the fuel filler hole.  I checkd the gas cap and the vent does work, but dont know if its not working at the correct pressures( it is 15 years old).

Later after driving home I bought a replacment cap and installed it.  It too released what seemed to be alot of pressure.  So I drilled two small holes in the rubber seal and it now vents and there is no pressure build up( I will keep an eye on this and make sure no fuel spills happen because of this mod).