Search This Blog

Saturday, May 27, 2017

27 May 2017 - Trunk/gas tank covering ideas

I have been working on cleaning up the trunk/gas tank area and dealing with the rust in the trunk.

So far I have cleaned up most of the factory soft sealer that was, for some reason all over the gas tank top and liberally applied all around the perimeter of the gas tank.  I have also started using a rust converter to stop the spread of rust on the trunk/wheel well areas.  There are more areas that need to be addressed but right now the areas are drying.

What I have started to do is create a cardboard template of the trunk/gas tank/wheel well areas to eventually allow me to create an installable covering for most of the trunk/gas tank/wheel well areas.

I am considering using plywood, treating it with a sealer then have the top of the plywood covered in carpet or maybe astro turf or something like that, the bottom of the plywood covered with foam sheets or foam strips to help with keeping the plywood structure in place.  Since there are two holes in the trunk floor I can use bolts/washers to scure the plywood flooring at those locations.