Search This Blog

Thursday, June 8, 2017

8 June 2017 - Holley carb - slow to return to idle

The engine is slow to return to idle.  All of a sudden this is happening.  I checked the ported vacuum can of the distributor and its working.  I also checked the springs under the rotor and they are intact and the weights move as they should.  I found that the stops are small silver and the two springs are blue.  I checked the basic setup on the 8479 distributor and its supposed to have silver heavy springs.  Sooo I have changed that some time in the past and I cant remember doing that.  I ordered a spring kit for this distributor and will things back to stock settings.

At the intake manifold I checked the vacuum hoses for the power brakes and the transmission modulator and they check good, no leaks.  I need to check the vacuum hose connection for the vacuum modulator at the transmission and make sure that is not leaking.

If none of those are the problem, I will disconnect those hoses and cap and then check the idle.  Plan is to eliminate all vacuume connections.  If after all of that, then I need to take a look at the carb itself.

UPDATE:

I took a look at the new linkage I put together to replace the original.  The replacement has a mild carbon steel 1/4 rod threaded on each end with heim joints(rod ends).  This linkage is considerably heaver than the original but its also very sturdy.  I ended up adding another throttle return spring.  So now there are two springs, a smaller one nested inside a larger one.  That additional spring is what I should have had all along.  I also greased the pedal throttle linkage at the firewall location(looks likes it has never been done before).  Tomorrow when I get the chance I will start the engine and check to see if these latest changes were effective.