Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2019

25 Feb 2019 - Edelbrock 1405 - rough idle - road speed driveability

On the 21-22 of Feb, I discovered the engine idle was bad and that when in gear, at idle the engine was running poorly.

Today I was able to deal with that problem.  I checked the fuel filter and found quite a few pieces of dark material in the filter.  So I removed it and cleaned it and re-installed it.  I then removed the 1405 from the car.  After that I removed the metering rods and related hardware, then the top  cover of the carb.  In the metering rod channels there was the same type of dark material but smaller, used carb cleaner and sprayed those areas until clean.  I also disassembled the floats and needles and sprayed with carb cleaner.  I sprayed carb cleaner where ever possible throughout the carb and pieces/parts.  I reassembled everything, fired up the engine and it idled like it should in and out of gear.

So I need to re-think how the current filter is setup and maybe add two filters.