Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016

30 May 2016 - short block clean up/prep

I think I have the short block at a point now that I can bag it and take it to the machine shop.  I cleaned up the block as best as I could.  I used dawn dish soap and a scouring pad to clean up the oil pan area of the block and the painted areas of the block.  After spending about an hour and a half cleaning the block I put WD-40 everywhere on the block, just for good measure.

While cleaning up the short block I noticed some strange marks on the inside of cylinders 1 and 7.  The markings are dark and can actually be felt.  They did not clean up or clear when I used the scouring pad so I don't know what those marks mean, hopefully nothing serious but I won't know till the machine shop does their voodoo.

While I had some free time I also thought I would take a closer look at the C4 transmission.  I thought I could seperate the bell housing from the case without disturbing the rest of the transmission.  Well after unbolting the bell housing and then pulling, the transmission internals went external...or as much that could, did.  So I changed my plans and put back what I could.  I had planned on taking the transmission the transmission shop anyways...