Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2016

25 November 2016 - Brake Tool

I realized after purchasing  a pre-bent brake line kit that I would need to create custom brake lines.  The pre-bent kit has some lines that are almost the correct length and others that are an exact fit.

When making replacement lines I am not too concerned with making lines that are the exact shape of the originals, only that they fit and are not in the way of the suspension components, the transmission or the exhaust components.

So brake line forming tools that I bought at the local auto parts stores work just fine for what I need.  However the brake line flaring tools available at these stores are low quality and kind of a PITA to get consistent double flares.  After trying all of the ones available locally, I started searching online for the tool that I thought would work.

My searches ended at the Eastwood website.  They have a tool that is portable, can be used on the car or in a vise and is for 3/16" brake lines.  So I bought the tool and after using it for about 30 minutes to get familiar with it, creating double flares on 3/16" brake lines is extremely easy to do as well as getting consistent results.