Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2018

25 August 2018 - headlight grille mod

I was able to install the passenger side grille and headlight grille mod today.  That grille looks amazingly good to me!  So since the driver side did not look that good but was installed, I decided to remove the driver side grille and paint the headlight door grille to match the passenger side.

I decided to not use the door springs that each door has installed.  On the passenger side I was thinking of a way to secure the headlight door hinge/grille assembly.  I came up with the idea to use a 5/16-18 bolt 5" long and a 5/16-18 bolt 3" long.  The headlight door hinge has two door adjustment locations; one to adjust how far back the door opens and one for how far down the headlight door closes.  The 3" bolt is used for the headlight door closing position and the 5" bolt is used for how far back the door opens.

Prepped, cleaned and painted the three nuts that are used for spacers for the grille to headlight door hinge spacing.  Also cut off the spring mounting tabs located on the door hinge.  I ground those down and painted them.

Currently the headlight buckets/cups are soaking in Evapo-Rust.  Once they are cleaned they will be painted.
 
The following four pictures show the hardware used to keep the door hinge/grille secure








Here is a shot, both sides installed; passenger side grille was painted with "blackout" treatment.  The driver side grille is unpainted.  I did that to compare which way I like it.  Looks to me the passenger side is the way to go.  I am in the process of disassembling the driver side grille and painting the grille.




Driver side with radiator grille removed.  So far the area looks pretty good after two years!


The headlamp buckets/holders are rusting just like the passenger side...so I will remove, clean and repaint...














The headlight vertical and horizontal adjusters are about to be replaced since I have all of this apart...



Where the red arrows are pointing....there used to be a tab for the door hinge spring.  I removed that tab on both sides of the door hinge, that will make it very easy to remove/install grille assembly when adjusting the headlights or replacing the headlights.