Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2018

16 Sept 2018 - valve adjustments - distributor timing

I thought I would check the valves and distributor timing today.

I statically set the timing to #1 cylinder TDC, 0 degrees at the dampener.  The distributor was off a couple of degrees, corrected that and then started the process of checking the rockers.  I removed the distributor cap and wires, then both valve covers.  I had an old MSD distributor cap, so I used that to help me see which plug the rotor is lined up with while I turn the crank.  I also marked the dampener in 4 spots starting from 0 degrees.  The distance between each mark is 5.1 inches.  So by doing that I can start at #1 cylinder 0 degrees TDC, check/set the torque for the intake and exhaust valves, then move through the firing order and going to the next mark on the dampener.  Doing that means I cut down on the time going through the timing cycle.


Pulled plug #1 so that I could install the TDC whistle I made.  I guess plug #1 looks okay






Here is the TDC whistle I made....its part of a rifle shell casing and part of a spark plug.


passenger side just before adjustments

There is the old distributor cap, cut to show the rotor location while checking the rockers

driver side just before adjustments