Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2018

4 April 2018 - Carb issues, maybe

On the 30th of March while driving home, the car started running real rough while stopped at a traffic light.  I kept up the rpms and made it home.  Thinking it could be one of the following; crappy gas(just put a full tank of gas from a station I never go to) or debris in the gas from the gas tank(its original never replaced it), I started with rebuilding the carb.  After rebuilding the carb and installing, I could not get the car to idle no matter what adjustments I made to the carb.  So I removed the carb, disassembled and checked gaskets, floats, eveything.  Seems I used the wrong base plate to venturi body gasket.  After just replacing that gasket, the car started and idled much better but it was still missing.

So I thought I would check the distributor cap/rotor.  I found burn marks on all inside terminals and on the rotor contacts.  I cleaned up the carbonization, wiped everything down and then checked the car.  It now idled much better.  So now I need to look into what is causing this problem with the MSD distributor.  The unit itself is 15 years old.  The cap, rotor, wires are 10 months old as are the spark plugs.