Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

4 Oct. 2016 - front bumper/brackets

Finally put the front bumper and mounting brackets together.  Everything is loosely put together to make it easier to install the front bumper assembly to the car.  The bumper assembly is out of the garage to make room for the front suspension work.

While I was test fitting the idler arm and center link I discovered a problem with the idler arm.  The idler arm is considered a premium part.  It is two pieces instead of three.  The problem I encountered with this premium part is that the rubber boot that covers the idler joint easily slips off of the joint when the arm assembly is rotated even a small amount.  I contacted WCCC to let them know what I have discovered and they are looking into the problem.  So in a couple of days they should have a solution.  Thats one of the main reasons I buy hardware from them.


This is the idler arm assembly that I removed from the car.


 
This is the premium idler arm assembly.  Right now it looks just fine.

  
Heres a pic of the idler arm after only two180 degree moves.  See how the rubber boot is now raised a little from the joint.

  
Heres a pic of the idler arm after six 180 degree moves.  It now has completely lifted off of the joint exposing it to the elements and leading to premature failure