Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2016

8 October 2016 - Passenger side front suspension

I started installing/putting together the passenger side front suspension.  I installed the lower control first.  I purchased an eccentric eliminator kit and installed the passenger side.

The kit is supposed to lock in the lower control arms to keep the alignment in place.


So far I have the upper control arm w/spring perch installed and torqued, the lower control arm is installed but it is not torqued its only snug.  That must be torqued with the suspension loaded( I found this website, it has a wealth of information about working on a 67 Mustang Fastback).

The spindle is mounted and torqued.  I was going to install the drum hub, but I forgot that the "old" bearing races were still installed.  I removed the races and cleaned up those areas.  I thought I would try something a little different to install the bearing races.  I read on the Vintage Mustang forums about cooling the bearing races to make them easier to install.  WE SHALL SEE.  I put the hardware in the freezer and I will let it chill for a couple of hours.

I was able to pretty easily install the bearing races - that freezer trick worked out well.  so now the passenger side front drum is ready for bearings and installation to the hub.
 

This is the driver side eccentric eliminator hardware.  This is how it must be installed in the driver lower control arm




Here is the passenger side suspension.  The upper and lower control arms and spindle are torqued.



At this point I am glad I purchased the special grease zert kit for the upper control arms.  That is soooooo close.
This block of wood and this 1 1/16" deep well socket made it a breeze to remove the outer bearing race