Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

14 March 2017 - PCV valve hose

  ToDo: 15 March 2017

  • Make sure to install the fuel tank cap...
  • drain a little bit of fluid from the transmission
  • mark harmonic balancer
  • adjust timing and idle mixture
  •  

 

 

 

  ==================================================

Vacuum Leaks

 Continued with tracking down leaks...

The rubber hose that connects the vacuum modulator to the vacuum hard line was very loose.  I put a hose clamp on the end of the rubber hose that connects to the hard line and also a hose clamp on the other end of the hard line that has a rubber hose.  I checked the rubber hose - hard line - rubber hose line and it now holds vacuum!  I installed the rubber hose end to the intake manifold vacuum port and secured with a hose clamp.  That line is now functional and the transmission should shift properly.

I also installed the PVC valve/hose assembly.  Where the two different sizes of hose meet I wrapped the connection with rubberized silicone tape.  This hose assembly is now functional and leak free.

The brake booster did not seem to be working correctly.  With the engine running at idle or at speed, the power booster just did not have enough vacuum.  So I started checking the booster check valve, intake manifold connection and the power booster for leaks.

I checked the function of the check valve and it worked like it should, it is a one way valve and it passed air one way and the other way it held pressure.  So I looked over the booster hose to manifold connection.  The rubber hose to hard line was too loose so I used a better smaller style hose clamp and that properly secured the hose.  The hard line to the intake manifold was working fine, no leaks(this may still be a problem, won't know for sure until the engine is running.  The booster hose assembly is now functional.

To test the booster I used the vacuum tester to draw 18" vacuum and watched it over five minutes with no change so the booster checked good.  

I now have all rubber hoses installed and checked for vacuum leaks.  Now I am going to have to re-check the timing and idle mixture.


 ==========================================================================


The PVC hose fits the PCV valve but it does not fit the carb manifold vacuum port.  That hose size is 3/8".  What I did was make an adapter out of a steel casing for rifle ammo.  The casing size is 7.62x54R.  I cut the spent primer end off.  The bullet end fits the 3/8" size perfectly and the primer end fits the stock PCV hose size. I have rubber "tape" that I can use to wrap up the joint.