Search This Blog

Saturday, March 18, 2017

18 March 2017 - The Merc

Today I installed the carb.  I installed a remote starter switch, and turned over the engine to prime the carb so starting would be easier.

After doing that, I started the engine and it ran much smoother, the rpms stabilized at 1400.  I let it warm up then adjusted it to 1000.  I adjusted the idle mixture screws and only adjusted a quarter turn more rich.  Decided to go for a test drive.  

The idle was good, the transmission up/down shifted properly.  At 50 mph indicated, rpms were 2200 and rock steady.  I realized after about 15 minutes of driving that there was 1/8 of a tank of gas indicated, so I stopped at a gas station pumped 4 gallons.  At the gas station the car started up properly and the idle was steady. Drove home to let it cool off.

Post drive checks...

  • brakes do not appear to be leaking..
  • the carb is not leaking anywhere on the outside and the strong smell of gas is now gone 
  • only leaks so far is the tranmission tail shaft output seal...
  • also the rear axle does leak but its been doing that before all of this work(need to buy fluid and fill)


Cleaned up the garage so that it can be swept and mopped tomorrow


Here is a video of the engine at 1500 rpm....after rebuilding the carb