Search This Blog

Thursday, March 23, 2017

23 March 2017 - The Merc

I ordered an ignition switch bezel tool from SR.  It has arrived and will make replacing the ignition switch assembly much easier.  Still waiting on a couple other parts From WCCC.  Hopefully this weekend the parts will be on hand so I can get back to driving The Merc.
Scott Drake T-100-YL Ignition Switch Bezel Tool 1967-1968




I was able to remove the ignition switch assembly and install the replacement.  I had to make room / get better access to the ignition switch, so I removed the instrument cluster and front instrument cluster cover as well as the passenger side instrument panel.  While removing the passenger side instrument panel, two metal clips that provide a mounting point on the panel popped out.  After closer inspection, the plastic tabes that hold the clips in place, snapped off.  I used Gorilla glue to glue the metal clips to the panel.  That will have to at least cure overnight before I can install that piece.  So I cannot move forward until that piece is ready. 

While I wait, I will look into purchasing 10 ga wire to re-wire the MSD power wires.


This is the passenger side of the instrument panel

These two metal clips popped off during removal of this panel.  I have applied gorilla glue to these metal clips so that I can re-install this panel