Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

28 March 2017 - The Merc

I purchased an Auto Gage 3 gauge cluster, 2 5/8" gauge size, PN:2395.  The gauge cluster contains a voltmeter, mechanical temp gauge and mechanical oil pressure gauge.  I tested the mechanical temp gauge before installing and it works.  Since the cluster is larger I had to drill new holes to mount the panel.

I also wanted to verify that the mechanical temp gauge that was originally installed was actually good and it is.

I am looking into installing the older mechanical temp gauge in place of the electrical temp gauge, just for testing to see why the electrical gauge reads so differently than the mechanical unit(hopefully its just a bad ground for the sender).

Removing the older gauge cluster took a bit of time, had to mark wires and remove everything as well as drain coolant.

The new gauge cluster instrument lighting uses the cluster panel and the gauges themselves as grounds for the lighting.  So I have to make a new wiring harness for the lighting to take those changes into account.