Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2017

16 March 2017 - Engine timing..carb adjustments...

Adjusted timing to 14 degrees, set idle mixture and set idle speed.   Noticed that after all of that and getting rid of the other vacuum leaks that now the holley is slow to return to idle.  The linkage is good, its just that the engine takes a bit to get back down to idle and it shouldnt.  I have plugged the leaks, I have even removed all vacuum connections and the problem is still there.  The carb did sit in the garage for about a 9 months...so it couldn't hurt to do a rebuild and then re-check it.  


I did take the car for a test drive on the road and had problems at about 50-60 mph...the engine just shut down as if it was electrically turned off.  I pulled over, cycled the transmission through the gears, put it in park and it started right up.  Tried to drive off then it completely shut down again.  So I took a look under the hood and all connections looked and felt secure.  Started the car waited a minute to see if it would die, it didnt then decided to stay off the main highway and drive through neighborhoods to get back home.  I was able to do that just fine.  So I am looking into what type of problem that is....