Search This Blog

Thursday, March 9, 2017

9 March 2017 - Engine - valve adustments

Made a quick adjustement of the rockers...just backed off the rocker nut 1/4.  Now I need to run the engine to make sure the rockers are working ok.

Still need to do something about the water pump pulley that is too close to the alternator bracket bolt.  Considering removing the water pump pulley, fan and spacer to remove little bit from the the bolt.

******************************************************************************

Removed the fan/water pump pulley and spacer to deal with the alternator bolt that is too close to the water pump pulley.

I reviewed some pix I had taken when I was removing the engine back in May 2016 and discovered the error...this time around I put a spacer on the alternator bolt it didn't need.  So I removed it and put everything back together(about an hour or so just do that that task!)

Installed the battery, checked oil/coolant/transmission fluids one more time and fired up The Merc.  It now runs much better after making the rocker adjustments Joe mentioned.  I am now looking into a good procedure(one that I can readily understand) to do a complete valve/rocker adjustement.  I did make a short video of the engine run time.  Let me tell you, that flexlite fan generates some air flow.

Also took a pic of the vacuum gauge with the engine running at 1300 rpm...

Next time I will get a short video of the engine running and show the vacuume gauge... 

The engine electrical temp gauge stayed steady where I am used to seeing it at and the mechanical gauge indicated just over 182 degrees and steady.  The radiator burped a couple of times, so it looks like the coolant fluid is where it needs to be...need to go out and check the heater core in the car...hope that is not leaking...

******************************************************************************

This bolt has interference with the water pump pulley...I added a spacer that I did not need...

Here the situation has been resolved!  I should've paid a little more attention to that...


******************************************************************************

While I was waiting for the engine/headers to cool down, I started to clean up/prep the hood hinges.  I have the set cleaned and painted with a base coat of semi-gloss black.  I will paint the top coat tomorrow. 

******************************************************************************

Went ahead and adjusted the rockers one last time...went through all rockers and backed off 1/4 turn to see if that will further improve the engine.

Also finished painting(primer coat) the hood hinges and springs.  I will let them dry overnight and paint them tomorrow.

Hood hinges and springs drying on the engine hoist...